Interesting facts about France. Everybody must to visit France at least once in life. Every girl dreams to visit Paris, to walk through the boutiques, to buy fashionable clothes, to sit at a French restaurant in a quiet courtyard, to visit famous Elysian fields and the Eiffel Tower. But which facts we know about France?
30 Interesting Facts About France
1. France’s population is about 64.7 million people (2010).
2. French cuisine considered the best in the world.
3. In France, about 80% of the citizens are Catholic Christians.
4. Paris is not only the capital of France, but also it is the largest and the most popular tourist destination in France.
5. The population density of France is 115 people per km square. In major metropolitan areas such as Paris density reaches 40,000 people per sq km., But the average value of the capital is kept at around 20,433 people. Per km square.
6. France has the highest tax on wealth in Europe.
7. The Mont Blanc mount is the highest point of France. An interesting fact that it is also the highest mountain in the Alps, not only, but also in the whole of Western Europe!
Mont Blanc is located on the border of France and Italy, and its height is 4810 meters. Annually, they’re holding a lot of different competitions on climbing, and here is the famous French ski resort of Chamonix.
Most experts have repeatedly recognized the best in Europe, Mont Blanc place for mountaineering and skiing.
8. France allocates about 2.5% of GDP for defense.
9. France is the birthplace of Gothic art. It also is the home of Baroque architecture. Interesting fact that Gothic art was initially known as the French art.
10. The slogan “Liberty, Equality, Fraternity!” became the world famous motto of France.
11. The word “France” means “land of francs.” The Franks are Germanic tribes who lived in Northern Europe after the fall of the Roman Empire.
12. The Eiffel Tower is one of the most famous and most visited attractions in Europe. She is also the tallest building in France. Its height is 323 m, which is approximately equal to the 70-story building! In the territory of the site’s constantly operates two restaurants, a post office, elevators and more.
13. France’s national flower is the iris.
14. French was the official language of England for over 300 years (from 1066 to the beginning of the XV century).15. The Gavarnie Falls is the highest in the country. Its height is 422 meters!
16. The national anthem of France still enjoys great popularity in the world. It is called the “Marseillaise.” It was written by Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle in 1792. It’s called the “Marseillaise” because it was the first song of the soldiers who came from Marseilles to Paris to support the Revolution.
17. Gallic rooster is the national animal of France.
18. April Fools’ Day, which is celebrated on April 1, is believed to have originated in France.
19. France – is one of the first countries, which adopt the international system of units of measurement “C”.
20. The Statue of Liberty was made in France, and transferred to the United States as a gift for the 100th anniversary of its independence in 1876. The statue was created by renowned French sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi. The face of the statue sculptor took a beautiful woman, Isabelle Boyer, the wife of Isaac Singer, a manufacturer of sewing machines.
21. France uses a civil law system whose foundations laid in the Napoleonic years.
22. The total area of the country is 635,775 sq km. The European part of the country is 543,974 sq km., Accounting for 86% of the total. The rest of the area consists of numerous overseas departments.
23. One of the most important national holidays in France is July 14. This day is known as Bastille Day. On this date the most important event happened in the history of France: the storming of the Paris prison “Bastille” July 14, 1789.
It was a time when angry peasants attacked the fortress-prison, released prisoners and captured weapons stored there. This event was the beginning of the French Revolution. An interesting fact that any sightseeing tour of France should include exposure to this important historical event, otherwise worthless this tour!
24. A popularly kiss on the cheek to greet each other, even among men. There are real statistics that the number of kisses varies depending on the region: one at the welcome in Brittany, and 4 in Paris and most of the North, and even up to 5 in Corsica.
25. The population of France is the world’s largest consumer of psychotropic drugs. An interesting fact that about a quarter of the population recognizes consumed antidepressants or tranquilizers during the last year!
26. French is the official language in 30 countries!
27. Nicotine was named after Jean Nico (1530-1600), a French diplomat and scholar who has imported tobacco to France in 1559 from Portugal.
28. More than half of the French population speaks at least one foreign language. The most common is English, it fluently speak 34% of the population.
29. France is the first manufacturer of wine and liquor in the world
30. Famous French invention: adding machine (calculator), first aid, balloon, movies, photos, and animation, the parachute, the submarine.