Interesting Facts About Chile — Chile is a unique country in regards to its location and climate zone. This country, located in South America, has a natural protection from the neighbors. It is washed by the Pacific Ocean in the east, being fenced off from its neighbors thanks to Andes mountain range. It could be interesting, that the government of Chile bans any import of agricultural output, trying to support own stock raising and agriculture.
Interesting Facts About Chile
1. Atacama Desert is the driest place on earth.
2. Chilean Patagonia is the cleanest places in the world
3. The largest drop in the level of relief globe (14,000 m difference) between the top of the mountain Ojos Del Salado and the bottom of the Pacific Ocean is in Chile, near the city of Copiapo.
4. Chungara Lake, located in the north of the country, 189 km from the city of Arica, at an altitude of 4570 meters above sea level is the highest lake in the world.
5. Moon Valley, which is located between the city of Calama and San Pedro de Atacama – one of the few places on the planet, is very reminiscent of a lunar landscape.
6. The world’s only natural laboratory, changes its chemical composition, depending on the time of year – Kopaue lake, located near the city of Los Ángeles. Hot underground water of volcanic origin, changing its chemical composition from winter to summer.
7. Elqui Valley has the purest sky on the earth, on average, 240 cloudless nights of the year, there was built the largest in the southern hemisphere observatory
8. UFOs observed In the skies of Chile, more than in any other country in the world.
9. The world’s tallest active volcano ever – 6064 m – Galyatiri volcano, located near the village of Chapikinya in the “I” region.
10. The world’s largest open copper mine Chuquicamata, which produces almost half of Chile’s copper, is located at an altitude of 2830 meters above sea level and 240 km. from the city of Antofagasta.
11. The world’s largest underground copper mine – El Teniente, located at an altitude of 2800 meters above sea level near the city of Rancagua.
12. Portillo – is a one of the best ski resorts for the quality of its snow and surrounded by mountains, it will only include direct sunlight, so the snow does not melt for a long time and the season lasts more than in other places. It is located near the city of Los Andes.
13. The world’s only ski resort is located on the oceanfront in the village of El Mirador, 8 km from the city of Punta Arenas, and operates most of the year.
14. Easter Island is the most remote in the world, because the nearest inhabited place is 2500 km. from it.
15. Chile – is a one of the few countries in the world where there are tours to Antarctica and Easter Island.
16. There are no poisonous snakes in Chile.
17. The level of crime and corruption in Chile – is the lowest in Latin America.
18. The largest man-made swimming pool in the world – Chilean resort of San Alfonso Del Mar. Its length is one kilometer away, and the depth at the deepest point – 35 meters. And it is located only 200 meters from the Pacific Ocean – that the ocean water pumps pumped into the basin, pre-filtering. There is also a constant water temperature – 26 ° C, while in the ocean water is quite cool.
19. Chileans have a husband and wife have different last names. If the names are the same, you first consider a brother and sister.
20. When you go on the road, often do not contain the names of the rivers that cross this road (very often these river beds are dry and filled with water only during the rainy season), but each bridge is necessarily a sign with its name, even if it’s not really a bridge and simply overpass.
21. The Robinson Crusoe island really exists – it is part of the archipelago of Juan Fernandez, and belongs to Chile. It is the story of a Scottish sailor Alexander Selkirk, who had lived alone on the island for 4 years and 4 months, had based his novel “Robinson Crusoe” by Daniel Defoe.
22. Country periodically shakes. Great Chilean Earthquake in 1960 was the strongest ever recorded, and what happened in February 2010, has reduced the time for earth day microseconds and shifted Earth’s axis, which is also not weak.
23. The Antofagasta City residents drink the largest number of Coca-Cola per capita in the world. It is recognized as the Coca Cola. And due to the fact that the city and county are almost no normal drinking water.
24. Chileans consider themselves the “Land of Poets” and very offended when their favorite Pablo Neruda, Gabriela Mistral, Nicanor Parra and so forth abroad is not really even know. But it is mainly the older generation.
By the way, the Chilean poet Gabriela Mistral got the Nobel Prize for Literature. Gabriela Mistral is depicted on the banknote of 5,000 pesos.
25. There are mines of Turquoise gemstone in Chile.
Read more in my post Marble Caves Chile – Carrera Lake Patagonia