Interesting Facts About India – a fascinating country, concealing a lot of interesting things and facts accumulated over millennia of history of India.
Ancient India laid the foundations for many modern sciences, without which it is simply impossible to imagine the development of modern humanity. The list of interesting facts does not end there!
31 Interesting Facts About India
1. It is interesting to know that over the last 10,000 years, India has not invaded the territory of another country.
2. 5000 years ago, when most of the world’s population was nomadic forest-dwellers, Indians (people of India) have managed to create the Harappan civilization. Civilization is located in the valley of Shinde (West India today).
3. The name “India” is derived from the Indus River that hosted around the earliest settlements. The ancient Indians called the river Indus, “Shindo”.
4. In India, there are many major attractions, which are now considered to be the World Heritage site by UNESCO. Among these monuments there are cave temples of Ajanta (Ajanta Caves), the cave temples of Elephanta Island (Elephanta Cave), the cave temples of Ellora (Ellora Caves), Taj Mahal (Taj Mahal), the many beautiful churches in Goa, the monuments of Hampi, Qutub Minar, etc.
5. The Persians invaded India, after which the name “Hindustan”, which comes from the “Shinda” and “Indus” and is widely regarded as one of the titles of land in India.
6. India – the birthplace of chess.
7. Algebra, geometry – also originate in India.
8. Interesting fact: the mathematical term “weight category” and the decimal number system was developed in India in 100 BC.
9. The world’s first granite palace – Brihadishwara temple in Tanjore, India. The perfect beauty of the palace was built only for 5 years (from 1004 BC by 1009 BC).
10. India is the 2nd most populous and 7th place in the world by area.
11. As is known, the Indian film industry on the scale is considered the largest in the world. It is called «Bollywood» (a merger of the words “Hollywood” and “Bombay”). “Bollywood” – is synonymous with the film industry in the Indian city of Mumbai which has annually made a surprising number of films (about 800 films a year.) Bollywood movies have spread from India to other countries, including Pakistan, where the government introduced a ban on the production of Indian films.
12. In India, the post office is more than in any other country.
13. The largest employer in India – Indian Railways – employs more than 1 million people.
14. Interesting fact: the very first university in the world was founded in India in 700 BC More than 10.5 thousand students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects.
15. Another University of Nalanda built in the IV century. – One of the most outstanding achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
16. An interesting fact about medicine: Ayurveda – the first school of medicine in the history of mankind. Ayurveda appeared about 2,500 years ago in India.
17. In Indian cuisine is traditionally used a variety of herbs, spices and herbs. Therefore, Indian food is very diverse, as in every area of the country has its own unique technology and methods for the preparation of unique dishes. The main foods are rice and roti round bread, and various types of beans and pickled vegetables. This dish is curry differs truly unique flavor and is most in demand in India.
18. India was one of the richest countries in the world until the British colonization in the early 17th century. Columbus, the discoverer of America, hoping to find a sea route to India because of the indescribable wealth of India.
19. The art of navigation and navigation, as a science , formed in Sindh Valley around 6,000 years ago, the ancient Indian civilization. The word “navigation” and the English «navy» rooted in the ancient language of India.
20. Mathematician and astronomer Bhaskara (1114 – 1185) was able to accurately count the surprising amount of time that the Earth spends 1 full turn around the Sun. This time is 365.258756484 days.
21. Baudhayana – a talented mathematician of India , who managed to accurately calculate the value of pi . In addition, he was able to formulate the main part of the theorem of Pythagoras. These discoveries that have been made by Indian scientists in the 6th century , long before the European mathematicians.
22. Interesting facts bring us back to algebra in India: quadratic equations have been used by scholars of India in the XI century. The largest number that operated the Greeks and Romans were the number of 100 , while already in 5000 BC Indian scientists used a number of the order of 1053 ( 10 to the power 53). The number of such orders had their own names in India. Even today , the largest number in its own name – Terra 1012 ( 10 to the power 12).
23. Traditional clothing of India, no doubt, has left its mark on the world market, where demand for the typical Indian attire is growing. The traditional view of women’s clothing is the Indian saris – a long piece of cloth wrapped around the body. By the way, another interesting fact is that the style of Indian saris varies depending on the region.
24. Interesting Facts of India: Until 1896 , India was a monopoly in the mining of diamonds.
25. Bailey bridge – the highest bridge in the world, located in the Himalayas (India ). It was built in 1982.
26. Sushurata – a recognized founder of surgery, who lived in India more than 2600 years ago. Indian scientists have been able to conduct a successful cataract surgery, prosthetics, cesarean section, removal of bladder stones, plastic surgery, surgery on the brain.
27. Knowledge of anesthesia (anesthesia) was available to doctors in ancient India. In the ancient scriptures were found confirmation of knowledge of the ancient civilization in anatomy, digestion, metabolism, physiology, etiology, genetics and immune system.
28. India exports software programs (software) in more than 90 countries.
29. Hinduism – the main religion of India, the second place is occupied by Islam.
30. In India, there are 300 million active mosques, more than in any other country.
31. More than 5,000 years ago in India, teaching yoga originated.