Interesting Facts About Cambodia
Cambodia – is a kingdom, there is a constitutional monarchy. King did not take any important decisions, but the people love him. Cambodia – is country of Khmer. Khmers are the most beautiful Asians. The capital of Cambodia is Phnom Penh.
28 Interesting Facts About Cambodia
1. Cambodia has the largest in Southeast Asia Lake – Tonlé Sap.
Tone Lesap is a unique lake. In the dry season it’s depth is only about 2 meters, and in the rainy season reaches 10 m. In the lake people live in houseboats, many of them have never were on the ground. They say, that it is easier to live in such a way, because they can catch the dinner on their own porch.
2. Cambodia is the most unexplored country in Southeast Asia. Here tourist can really dive into the life of ancient Asia. Even today, in Cambodia it is possible to meet a person who has never watched TV, and he will never answer you what is it “Coca-Cola”. But Khmers are very smiling and cheerful.
3. Cambodians and Thais do not like each other, though similar in many ways. They even beat the military clashes in 2008. Thailand and Cambodia can not divide the temple of Preah Vihear. It is a Buddhist temple and is located on the border of the two states.
Each country draws it’s map, on which the temple on it’s territory. International Court of Justice tried to resolve this dispute and acknowledged, that the temple Preah Wiecher is property of Cambodia.
In 2008 UNESCO declared that the Preah Vihear is World Heritage Site. Clashes resumed. The temple became more desirable for both states.
4. Angkor Wat in Cambodia – is the largest temple complex in the world. Angkor’s area is 200 square kilometers. Angkor leaves no one indifferent. Majestic temples fascinate. Here filmed “Lara Croft: Tomb Raider” with Angelina Jolie in the title role. And it was here Rudyard Kipling was inspired and wrote his famous Mowgli.
5. The most common myths about Cambodia: There is a war, it is very dangerous here, everyone walking around with guns, kill people, hunger, poverty and unrest.
In fact, Cambodia is certainly not a rich country, but it is so fertile that no one is starving here.
The war ended 30 years ago.
6. There is no orphanages in Cambodia.
7. Education in the Kingdom optional. So many children never finish high school. But if they finish, they get a pretty decent education – they can to speak on 2 or even on 5 languages.
8. Meet the Khmer, who speaks good English and French is not a problem.
9. Higher education in Cambodia is very expensive, and children in families are at least three. So, the king decreed that Khmer’s student can study at any university of the world by the state. In country there is a respect to people with higher education.
10. In Cambodia Banks give money in small denominations is almost always. It is very convenient, as is customary to give a tip to everyone and everywhere.
11. In Cambodia there are two currencies U.S. dollar and Cambodian Riel. And if the store is worth something less than a dollar, and you pay in dollars, the change you will be given in riel.
12. In pharmacies, here you can buy rapid test for malaria.
13. The electricity in Cambodia is very expensive. Khmers are using ice instead refrigerators. And generally, they try to eat only fresh foods. More than a few hours the food here is not stored. So you can safely eat on the streets – do not poison.
14. In Cambodia, ih the Mekong River there are unique dolphin – irrawaddy dolphin. Scientists have discovered that dolphins do not swim in the sea, dolphins are always in the Mekong river. But the whole scientific world can not explain where they came from.
Cambodians do not hunt dolphins. And they do not use them for food. Dolphins are sacred animals for Khmers.
15. A lot of rice is grown in Cambodia. The soil there is very fertile due to spills Mekong River and Lake Tonle Sap. Most of the rice crop sold to China.
16. Khmer love to sleep outside in the hammocks.
17. Khmers are very hospitable! They are always smiling, they will show you all, and they will feed you if you are their guest.
18. Among Khmers there are many meat eaters. You can try a regular beef, and the meat of very exotic animals – meat snakes, turtle’s meat, crocodile’s meat, meat of frogs (echoes of the French colonial regime).
19. In Cambodia is a lot of fish. Freshwater fish khmers are catching and cultivate throughout the country. On the shore of the Gulf of Thailand there are so many different seafood. Seafood is very fresh and cheap.
20. In Cambodia, there are very beautiful beaches and Cambodia has its own islands. That many travelers do not know.
21. Whites and blondes are of interest only in the depths of the country. In tourist areas – Sihanoukville, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, nobody is surprised to white people.
22. Screams and yelps – it is a muveton. In the eyes of Cambodians you become a fool, and noone will communicate you more.
23. The French are very fond of Cambodia. There is even an entire French diaspora. Many of them have been not in France ever.
24. Checking of fingerprinted is waiting for you on the border of Cambodia. Don’t worry – this is the usual procedure.
25. Marriage of convenience for Cambodians is a common occurrence. The thing is that, on wedding, Khmer people (the guests) have to give only money. Any wedding pays off at least twice. After this enterprising bride and groom will divorce and divide “extraction”. But generally Khmer’s weddings are very interesting and beautiful.
26. Extra charge for any import alcohol just $ 1.
27. Hotels in Cambodia chic and relatively not very expensive. Since tourists are still not very much, as for instance in neighboring Thailand.
28. Cambodia has a very rich history. Khmer people (Cambodians) had his empire, it was called – the Khmer empire. Khmer Empire included almost all territory of Laos, big part of Thailand and part of Vietnam. After the collapse of this mighty empire, it left a lot of evidence of its greatness. Cambodia – it is an open air museum.
Cambodia – is dazzlingly beautiful country! Welcome to Kingdom of Cambodia!