Interesting Facts About Georgia – Georgia – is a country located at the turn of Western Asia and Eastern Europe. Georgia – is a country located at the turn of Western Asia and Eastern Europe. In the west, Georgia is washed by the Black Sea. Georgia is a small country – a little more than Switzerland.
Armenia, Turkey, Azerbaijan and Russia – are Georgia’s neighbors.
Georgia is the stunningly beautiful country in the middle of the majestic Caucasus Mountains. This is a very religious country with the fascinating history, with the very hospitable people, who prepare excellent barbecue, sing a very beautiful songs, and they make a delicious Georgian wine.
Interesting Facts About Georgia
1. Georgians themselves call their country “Saqartvelo”.
2. Georgians are Christians. Georgia is the third country in the world which adopted Christianity in 328 AD. e. This confirms the huge number of ancient christian temples across the country.
3. Georgian people is an autochthonous. (Has always lived on this territory)
4. Georgian (Qartvelian) language is unique. The language is very different from all other languages in the region.
5. Georgia is considered the birthplace of the wine. On the territory of present-day Georgia found the oldest remains of wine jugs and vines. Georgian wine is just awesome. Be sure to try it. Georgians are proud of their wine.
6. In Georgia still steal brides. But the groom does it with the consent of the bride. Nowadays it is a part of a wedding ritual, because Georgia today is a democratic free country and steal people is prohibited by law here.
7. The capital of Georgia – Tbilisi, was founded by the tsar of Iberia (ancient name of Georgia) in the 6th century AD. Tbilisi – the largest city of Georgia, its name means “a warm source”.
Tbilisi 400 years was the Arab city-state, and was called “the Tbilisi Emirate”.
8. Georgians are very hospitable people. On a visit in their home, they will feed you with the tasty meals. Also, when you come on a visit, it isn’t accepted to remove footwear. It is – for convenience of dear visitors. If in Georgia you are invited on a visit, a good form of you will be to take with itself a box of candies or a wine small bottle by a dinner.
9. The law on a ban of smoking of tobacco didn’t concern Georgia. Here it is possible to smoke almost at all restaurants and on streets of the cities.
10. Though Georgia once was part of the Soviet Union, here hate all Soviet. Buildings of times of the USSR stand destroyed and they are necessary to nobody today. Georgia is in rather intense relations with Russia – the right successor of the USSR.
11. Today Georgia actively develops and builds up. All over the country they are building new buildings.
12. At all the Georgian schools children learn English. In the country it is very heavy to get a job without knowing English. Therefore it will be very easy for you to communicate with local population. Also almost all signs in two languages – Georgian and English.
13. In Tbilisi there is George Bush Street, and residence of the former president Saakashvili – the reduced copy of the White House in the USA.
14. In Georgia there are excellent roads. Roads are all new and it was built by the German technologies.
15. The pack of cigarettes and gasoline liter in Georgia costs equally about $1,6.
16. In Georgia, there is no central heating and hot water. People put in apartments Electrical waterheaters and they heated apartments with the electrical appliances. By the way, water and electricity is very expensive in the country.
17. In Georgia, in high rise buildings you have to pay for the lifts! One ride costs 10 tetri (1.3 cents).
18. In Georgia, all government transactions are electronic. Georgians can drive a car without the driving license. The citizens of Georgia can show their passport, which looks like a credit card. If person is stopped by the police – they will ask only his name and surname. Police will check the information about person on computer and they will know everything about this citizen.
19. In Georgia, the very high humidity, but low temperatures. Snow is a rarity. Snow is always only in the mountains.
20. Georgians are love children so much! They say that the child is so pure soul, that smells like a god.
21. Georgia is a very safe country. People here do not lock the doors. Everywhere on the streets a lot of police. All police stations here are transparent like aquariums. So that, anyone can watch the work of the police. And I must say they work well. In Tbilisi, the last few years have not stolen any cars!
22. In the Georgian language there is no words exceptions. In this regard, it is incredibly simple – you can write as you heard. All words are written with a lowercase letter, even names. There are no capital letters. As there is no notion of masculine and feminine. One or another sex is determined by the context.
23. When Georgians talk, they periodically raising their voices. This is not because of what they are quarrel! They talk this way because the Georgian language has no accents, and the main syllable they shows by the superior intonation.
24. In Georgia, it is possible to understand by the surname from what part of the country the citizen is. In western and central parts of Georgia the surnames mostly end on -jo. In Eastern – on -shvili. Surnames from the eastern mountainous provinces ends on -Uli-Uri.
25. Georgians are using the the vigesimal (base-twenty) system for numerals. For to say a number between 20 and 100, you need to break it down into twenty and call their number and residue. For example: 33 – twenty-thirteen, and 78 – twenty-three to eighteen.
26. Students in Georgia are beginning to learn in late September, with about 17-21 numbers. It was at this time falls debilitating heat. The exact date is determined each year.
27. In 1976, the U.S. space agency NASA sent into space Georgian song “Chakrulo” as an example of musical abilities of mankind.
28. Meliton Kantariya was one of the first who hoisted the flag of victory on the roof of the German Reichstag during the Second World War in 1945.
29. Queen Tamar known for the great deeds equated to man and given the title “the King Tamar.”
30. One of the most famous rulers of the USSR was the Georgian – Dzhugashvili, well known in history as Joseph Stalin.
31. In Georgia, was found the oldest thread on the planet (34,000 years).
32. In Georgia, found the remains of the oldest kind of people who lived in Europe (Homo Georgicus).
33. The bodyguard of Napoleon Bonaparte – Rostom Razmadze (Roustam Raza) was Georgian.
34. The Ancient Greek historian Herodotus, wrote that Georgia was called “the Colchis” and that exactly here Jason and the Argonauts looked for the Golden Fleece.
35. Georgian Mary Shervashidze was the model of famous mademoiselle Coco Chanel.
36. In Georgia there are a lot of mineral water sources (about 2500). The best-known of them – is “Borjomi”.
37. 37. The cuisine of Georgia is very various and tasty. The kitchen is based on a combination of the spicy with the sharp. Georgians eat a lot of meat, vegetables, widely use corn and a corn flour. Georgians do fantastically tasty cheeses. Georgian chees “suluguni” has unforgettable taste.